ABOUT TASHKENT STATE INSTITUTE OF ORIENTAL STUDIES
Tashkent State Institute of Oriental Studies (TSIOS) was established on the basis of the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Tashkent State University in accordance with the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan No. 186 of July 15, 1991 and the decision of the Collegium of the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Special Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan of July 26, 1991.
There are 5 faculties and 25 departments in TSIOS:
|Faculty of Eastern Philology|
|Languages of South Asia|
|Literature of the countries of the foreign East|
|Faculty of Chinese Studies|
|Chinese Language and Literature|
|Politics, History and Economy of China|
|Pedagogy and psychology|
|Faculty of Korean Studies|
|Economy and Politics of Korea|
|History and culture of Korea|
|Faculty of History and Philosophy|
|History of foreign countries|
|History of the peoples of Central Asia and the source study|
|Eastern philosophy and culture|
|Western European languages|
|Faculty of Economics and Politics of Foreign Countries|
|World politics and international relations|
|Economy of foreign countries|
|International economic relations|
|Mathematics and Information Technology|
Directions of education and specialties:
- 5120100 – Philology and Language Teaching (Oriental Languages)
- 5120100 – Philology and Language Teaching (Classical Languages)
- 5120200 – Theory and practice of translation (in Eastern languages)
- 5120300 – History (by countries and regions of the East)
- 5120700 – World politics (by regions)
- 5120800 – Eastern philosophy and culture
- 5231000 – Economics of foreign countries and country-specific studies (by country and region)
- 5А120101 – Literature studies (in oriental languages)
- 5А120102 – Linguistics (in oriental languages)
- 5А120103 – Classical philology (by types)
- 5А120104 – Textology and literature source study
- 5А120201 – Comparative linguistics, linguistic translation studies (in Eastern languages)
- 5А120302 – History (by directions and countries)
- 5А120304 – Historiography, source study and methods of historical research (on Central Asian countries)
- 5А120701 – International relations and foreign policy
- 5А120801 – Eastern philosophy and culture
- 5А231001 – Economics of foreign countries and country-specific studies (by country and region)
Today in TSIOS study 2183 students, in Bachelor degree 1987 students, in Master`s 196 students.
Currently, 33 foreign students, trainees and researchers from 9 foreign countries (from the Russian Federation, the Kyrgyz Republic, Ukraine, the Republic of Korea, Japan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, the PRC) are studying at TSIOS.
TAUGHT FOREIGN LANGUAGES
Oriental languages: Arabic, Persian, Turkish, Pashto, Dari, Hindi, Urdu, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Uighur
Western languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Russian
– University of Tsukuba;
– Tokyo University of Foreign Languages;
– University of Hosea;
– JICE Center;
– Agency JICA;
– Toyo University
– Hanshin University;
– Hankuk University of Foreign Studies;
– Kangnam University;
– Kyung Hee University;
– Chungbuk University;
– Pukyong National University;
– Agency KOICA;
– Korea Foundation.
People’s Republic of China:
– Hunan Pedagogical University;
– Lanzhou University;
– Shanghai University;
– The Hanban organization.
– Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia;
– Chelyabinsk State University;
– Institute of Asian and African Countries, Moscow State University.
– Institute Ghalib;
– Delhi University;
– Indian Cultural Center named after Shastri;
– Vivekananda Scientific Research Center.
Islamic Republic of Iran:
– The Saadi Foundation.
– Malaysian Pedagogical University.
– Islamic University of Malanga
– Hanoi State University.
– Budapest University.
– GOETHE Institute.
– British Council.
To date, more than 50 candidates for Doctor of Studies (DSc) and Ph.D. degrees in Philology, History, Political Science, Philosophy and Economics in the following codes of the specialty conduct their scientific work in TSIOS in the postgraduate education system:
07.00.03 – World history
07.00.08 – Historiography, source study and methods of historical research
08.00.01 – Economic Theory
08.00.09 – World Economy
09.00.03 – History of Philosophy
10.00.05 – Languages and Literature of the Peoples of Asia and Africa
10.00.06 – Comparative Literature, Comparative Linguistics and Translation Studies
10.00.10 – Textology and literature source study
23.00.02 – Political institutes, processes and technologies
23.00.04 – Political problems of international relations, global and regional development
At the Tashkent State Institute of Oriental Studies there are two Scientific Councils for awarding academic degrees:
- Scientific Council DSc.27.06.2017.Fil.21.01 – specialty 10.00.05 – Languages and Literature of the Peoples of Asia and Africa, 10.00.06 – Comparative Literature, Comparative Linguistics and Translation Studies, 10.00.09 – Journalism, 10.00.10 – Textology and literature source study. The Scientific Council has been functioning since July 2013, and to date more than 50 doctoral dissertations have been defended.
- Scientific Council DSc.28.12.2017.S.21.02 on specialty 23.00.04 ¬ Political problems of international systems and global development in the political sciences, began its activity in January 2018.
In TSIOS, the educational process is carried out in two shifts in two buildings: the main educational building, located on the street. Shakhrisabz-25 and the second building located on the street. Shakhrisabz-16.
All departments of the Institute are equipped with computers and, for the purpose of speedy management, all units are connected to the Internet; 50 classrooms equipped with multimedia
The place of residence of TSIOS students is located at Mirzo Ulugbek district, Ziyolilar St., d.33 and is designed for 220 people.
The Fund of the Information and Resource Center of TSIOS totals more than 58,799 copies of 13,580 titles of educational literature. In 2017, the IRC Fund was enriched with 340 literature titles (1,702 copies). In the electronic library, opened in 2013 under the grant of KOICA, modern opportunities of work with information resources on new technologies are created. To date, the electronic database of the IRC is about 10420 literature.
In addition, with linguistic departments there are libraries equipped with foreign literature. The funds of these libraries are formed by educational literature brought from foreign countries, such as China, South Korea, Turkey, Japan, Pakistan, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Iran, Egypt, etc. Educational and scientific literature in foreign Oriental languages, after a positive expert opinion commission of the Institute, is introduced into the educational process.
At the Center of language preparation under TSIOS interested people can study one of eastern or western languages. At the preparatory courses of the center, students can study in specialized subjects for admission to higher educational institutions.
The main tasks of the Uzbek-Chinese Confucius Institute, which was opened under TSIOS on the basis of the intergovernmental agreement between Uzbekistan and the People’s Republic of China, is to teach the inhabitants of Uzbekistan, including pupils and students, the Chinese language, to provide practical assistance in upgrading the skills of Chinese language teachers, creation of new textbooks and teaching aids in the Chinese language, conducting seminars and conferences on Chinese language, literature, history and culture with the purpose of acquaintance with People’s Republic of China.
Under the institute functions one academic lyceum.